Why West Cottage?
West Cottage has the enormous advantage of being situated in a picturesque village in a backwater yet is in the very centre of the Cotswolds and within easy reach of so many places of interest, such as the following (to name but a few) :-
- The very popular market towns of Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Campden, and Woodstock (where there is Blenheim Palace with a great little tea room right next to the entrance.
- Royal Shakespeare Company's Courtyard Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon
- Sudeley Castle and Gardens in Winchcombe
- Hidcote Manor Gardens and Kiftsgate Court Gardens near Chipping Campden
- Naunton Downs Golf Club at Naunton
- The town of Bath with its historical Roman baths, good range of shops (including many independent/specialist shops) and good restaurants.
- Bicester Village outlet shopping centre with top clothes labels for sale at discounted prices
- Cheltenham Racecourse which is home of National Hunt racing and The Cheltenham Festival which takes place every March for four days. The Thursday of the festival is Gold Cup day and is a very special day attracting huge numbers of visitors and all the big names in horse racing. The event is so popular that if you are interested in attending you would be wise to book very early in the year.
- Longborough Festival Opera takes place in June and July with excellent operatic performances. It is situated in the Countryside between West Cottage at Bourton-on-the-Hill and the next village of Longborough.
- Cycling and horse riding
- We think all in all perhaps one of the top favourites with visitors are the walks that can be done in the surrounding countryside. Guides and maps are available at West Cottage to help you make the most of these.
There are also many attractions that would be of special interest to children :-
- Cotswold Farm Park
- Cotswold Falconry Centre, attached to Batsford Arboretum (literally just down the road from West Cottage)
Anne gives her guests a personal welcome for first time visitors and explains the workings of West Cottage as well as being on hand to answer any questions you may have.
West Cottage is situated in the village of Bourton-on-the-Hill about minutes from the market town of Moreton-in-Marsh where there is a good supermarket, small Tescos, various useful shops, restaurants and cafes. There is also a market in Moreton-in-Marsh on Tuesdays.
A babysitting service can be provided by arrangement.